- 10 egg whites
- 2 lbs. beef, ground
- 1 lb. Mirepoix
- 12 oz. tomatoes, fresh (seeded and diced)
- 2 qt. Beef Broth
- 2 ea. Onion Brûlé
- 2 bay leaves, dried
- ½ tsp thyme, dried whole
- ½ tsp pepper, whole black
- 8 sprigs parsley, fresh
- 2 cloves, whole
- ½ ounce of roasted carrots cut into matchsticks
- ½ ounce of roasted leek cut into rounds
- ½ ounce mushroom of your choice
- Place garnish in bowl and fill with hot consommé- approximately 8 ounces.
- Whip the egg whites until slightly frothy.
- Combine the egg whites, beef, mirepoix and tomatoes in an appropriate stockpot.
- Add the broth or stock; mix well and add the onions brûlés and sachet.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally. Stop stirring when the raft begins to form.
- Break a hole in the center of the raft to allow the consommé to bubble through.
- Simmer until full flavor develops, approximately 11⁄2 hours.
- Strain through several layers of cheesecloth, degrease and adjust the seasonings. Cool and refrigerate or hold for service.